Since I tend to do most projects with not much forethought, I don't have very good 'before' shots...so I'll just keep showing you the same one over and over! This one doesn't reflect the new stripes, but notice the cabinets:
Ho-Hum. So I decided to 'richen' them up with some dark, espresso colored paint:
Better, right?! And even the counter looks less "builder standard." I went with Behr's paint+primer latex paint, and rolled it on with a foam roller. After a few days, I brushed on a water-based polyacrylic to help seal it since it's in the bathroom, and give it a bit of sheen. As for the color....um, bad blogger again, not sure exactly....but I picked up the darkest brown I could find (careful, some of them have a pink hue, uck), then had them mix it 25% darker. Even my contractor couldn't believe I had only painted them....he thought it was a rebuilt unit
Next was the hardware...notice the toilet handle in all it's brassy glory:
That pops right off....so along with the toilet paper roll holder thingy...I sprayed them with Rustoleum's Brushed Nickel.
They don't look quite so flat and cheesy in real life...the sun was doing funny things to my pics
And sure I could have just picked up new ones, but the total wouldn't have been $3.50!!! I thought it turned out so well, I decided to spray the light fixture too.
I don't love the light, but I don't really love the idea of spending any real money in this bathroom either. And truthfully, I'd rather the light not be much of a focal point anyway. I gave my son free reign in choosing the faucet (as long as it was brushed nickel), and of course he came up with a $$$$ choice with a little 'gimmick' to it...so I think the faucet will take center-stage away from the light. (I need a little professional help installing it...so the final room reveal waits until then!)
Updating the mirror was the next improvement, but I'll have to tell you about it later. (This wouldn't be the first time I've been called a tease!)