First up are the drapes:
I'm not much of a drape person, but I do think they add a lot to some rooms. And this particular window is big and interesting, so I wanted to draw more attention to it. And since it's a boy's room, they needed to be sturdy, un-fussy and masculine. Also, have you priced 108" long drapes?!? Pass.
Well, here's the secret weapon:
That's right, drop cloths! You can buy them at any hardware store, even Wal-Mart. Mine are from Home Depot. Here are the kickers that make them utterly amazing:
1) They come FULLY HEMMED ON ALL SIDES!!! (this girl don't sew!)When you first take them out of the package they are crispy crunchy and will make you nervous. Just wash them with detergent and a good dose of fabric softener. I dried mine with no problems too and they came out like the yummiest, softest linen.
2) Each panel is a solid piece of fabric, no seams down the middle.
3) The material is a cotton/poly blend, so completely machine washable.
4) They come in ridiculously long lengths, perfect for windows (unlike a 72" shower curtain)
5) The two-pack is....wait for it.....TEN BUCKS!!! That's 12 yards of fabric folks!
And since I can't leave well enough alone, I used iron-on hem tape to apply two strips of grosgrain ribbon down the the two sides that meet in the middle. It seriously took 30 minutes.
These panels are 6' x 9', but I know they have them in other lengths too. And if these are too long, just whip out the hem tape and shorten them. I kept mine long
Here's his window before:
And again, after with my yummy, cheapo, full of texture drapes:
Do you have any projects made from unexpected items?